Sir Paul McCartney's wife Nancy bedside Beatles legend's side as battles virus
She has been sleeping at Hospital ever since he was taken there on Tuesday
By liverpoolecho Administrator
May 23, 2014
Sir Paul McCartney’s devoted wife Nancy has spent the last four nights by the Beatles legend’s bedside in hospital amid fears over his health.
The American beauty, 53, has been sleeping in a room at St Luke’s International Hospital ever since he was taken there battling a serious viral infection on Tuesday.
A source said while she was understandably worried after he was admitted, she was reassured by his continual progress under the care of doctors.
One pal said Macca was “on great form now and is getting back to his old self”.
The pal added: “He is getting better and better by the day. Nancy has been brilliant as always and has never left his side.”
Sir Paul and third wife Nancy married in 2011 at a ceremony at Marylebone Register Office.
She accompanies him on tours all over the world with Nancy usually seen by the side of the stage and the pair enjoying romantic excursions in whatever city they’re staying in.
The Mirror exclusively revealed today how Macca, 71, was being treated in the facility after cancelling his entire Asian tour.
He was first hit by the virus on May 16, a day after he landed in the Japanese capital.
But after trying to “rest it out” in his hotel room, he was hospitalised on Tuesday after medics examined him.
Today Japanese fans outside the hospital spoke of their delight he was recovering from the virus.
“The shock was huge when I heard the two concerts which I had bought tickets for were both cancelled,” said Shinichi Noguchi, 40.
“It’s good to hear he’s recovering and I’ll be happy if he can come to Japan again in the near future.”
The former Beatle, who rarely cancels concerts, said in a statement earlier this week that he hated to disappoint his fans. He came to Japan after a South American tour.
He said: “Thank you so much for your kind messages of support I’m so very touched. Unfortunately my condition has not improved overnight.
"I was really hoping that I’d be feeling better today. I’m so disappointed and sorry to be letting my fans down.”
Sir Paul has said how he was “extremely moved” by the messages of support he has received.
A statement released on his behalf on Thursday night said: “Since contracting a virus last week that led to the postponement of tour dates, Paul received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo.
“He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days rest. Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world.”
Mike McCartney, Paul’s brother and singer with the Scaffold band, also said his brother was “on the mend”.
He told the Mirror: “I got a text from Paul yesterday (on Thursday). He told me he was recovering slowly but surely, so I’m sure he’s on the mend.”
Sir Paul cancelled a run of five concerts in Japan and South Korea.
The US leg of his “Out There” tour was expected to go ahead as scheduled starting in Lubbock, Texas, on June 14.