Sir Paul McCartney finally discharged from hospital following treatment for a serious viral infection
By Tom Bryant
May 26, 2014
The Beatles legend was well enough to take a private jet from Tokyo and was en route home
Sir Paul McCartney has finally been discharged from hospital
Sir Paul McCartney has finally been discharged from hospital after nearly a week, the Mirror can reveal.
The Beatles legend was well enough to take a private jet from Tokyo and was en route home.
It is not known whether he is heading to either his London or Sussex property or his pad in New York's The Hamptons.
But a source confirmed he was excited about seeing the rest of his family and to continue his recuperation.
The pal said: "Paul has really been through the mill. He was desperately sad he had to cancel those shows but he was really poorly. But he is on the mend which is great news."
The 71-year-old was admitted to St Luke's International Hospital in the Japanese capital last Tuesday with a serious viral infection.
Sir Paul's wife Nancy Shevell, 53, was by his side throughout as he spent six nights being cared for by doctors.
He was first hit by the virus on May 16, a day after landing in the city.
But after trying to battle through the symptoms, he didn't improve and was admitted to hospital.
He said at the time: "Thank you so much for your kind messages of support. I'm so very touched. Unfortunately my condition has not improved overnight.
"I was really hoping that I'd be feeling better today. I'm so disappointed and sorry to be letting my fans down."
Sir Paul cancelled a total of five concerts in Japan and South Korea.
The US leg of his Out There! tour is expected to go ahead as scheduled starting in Lubbock, Texas on June 14.
Mike McCartney, Paul's brother, previously told the Mirror how the star was getting better.
He said: "I got a text from Paul yesterday. He told me he was recovering slowly but surely so I'm sure he is on the mend."
Macca Report News EXCLUSIVE (update)
May 26, 2014
Paul leaves for home
After being discharged from the hospital on Friday, Paul went to his hotel, The Peninsula, to recuperate. The stories of him staying another 48 hours in the hospital were apparently incorrect.
On Sunday May 25th (Monday May 26th in Japan), It is now confirmed (see below) that Paul boarded a private jet from Narita Airport at 12:30pm Tokyo time and was thought to be heading back to London.
Official statement from the Japan 'Out There 'tour organizer:
Paul McCartney was well recovered yesterday May 26 (Monday in Japan). He checked out of his hotel before noon, went to the airport and left Japan in a chartered plane. We're sorry the information was delayed.
In the future we will continue to consult with the artist's management to rebook the concerts for return dates soon as possible. Paul McCartney himself has asked us to do so. We deeply apologize to the fans for the inconvenience the cancelation of the tour has caused.
Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney leaves Japan after illness, cancels Asian tour
Reporting by Elaine Lies; Editing by Clarence Fernandez
Tue May 27, 2014
(Reuters) - Former Beatle Paul McCartney, who cancelled his Asian concert tour and was treated at a Japanese hospital after falling ill in Tokyo, has recovered and left Japan, concert organizers said on Tuesday.
McCartney, 71, left on a charter flight on Monday, they added. No destination was given, but Japanese media said he had headed for London.
"Paul McCartney himself hopes to return to Japan for more concerts as soon as possible," the organizers said in a statement, adding that this would be negotiated.
McCartney called off his sold-out Japan tour last week after falling ill with a viral infection, much to the disappointment of fans - some of whom had paid 100,000 yen ($980) to see him. He later cancelled a concert set for South Korea.
McCartney and drummer Ringo Starr are the two surviving members of the Beatles, which Guinness has ranked as the world's biggest-selling musical group, and which broke up in 1970.
A native of Liverpool who largely taught himself how to play, McCartney has been known for a long and versatile musical life that included a stint with the band "Wings" after the Beatles, followed by a flourishing solo career.
(Reporting by Elaine Lies; Editing by Clarence Fernandez)
Musician Paul McCartney attends The Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles 23rd Annual Simply Shakespeare benefit reading of ''The Two Gentlemen of Verona'' in Santa Monica, California September 25, 2013.
CREDIT: REUTERS/PHIL MCCARTEN
McCartney leaves Japan after recovering from virus
MAY. 27, 2014
Music legend Paul McCartney is over an illness that forced the cancellation of his Asian tour and has left Japan, the concert organizer said Tuesday.
McCartney “has recovered well enough to travel by plane,” said an official from Kyodo Tokyo, the organizer of the Japanese leg of the “Out There” global tour.
“According to the information that we have, he left Japan yesterday” by chartered jet for an undisclosed destination, he said.
The former Beatle arrived in Japan on May 15 and was due to play four sold-out dates in Tokyo and Osaka.
But the 71-year-old pop veteran cancelled all his gigs as well as the South Korean leg of the tour, saying he had been taken sick with an undisclosed virus.
The called-off concerts included one at Tokyo’s Nippon Budokan Hall that would have marked his first return to the venue since appearing there with The Beatles in 1966.
The cancellations generated an outpouring of good wishes from fans of the Liverpool-born musician—one of two living members of The Beatles.
A combined 170,000 people had been due to see his shows in Japan, according to local media, some paying as much as 100,000 yen for a ticket.
A statement from New York-based public relations company Nasty Little Man said last week that McCartney had “received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo.”
“He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days rest” before leaving the country, the agency said at the time.
Japanese tabloid paper Nikkan Gendai, citing an unnamed person close to the musician, said Tuesday that McCartney had a laparoscopy—surgery using a thin tube inserted into his belly.
A viral disease had been “suspected for nausea, vomiting and stomachache but his case was diagnosed as an intestinal obstruction,” the source told the paper.
The operation to resolve the obstruction was successful, the report said.
The Kyodo Tokyo official could not confirm the report.
© 2014 AFP
McCartney leaves Japan after recovering from virus