jueves, 18 de octubre de 2018

The Farr Side: Paul McCartney continues to shine








































www.statesman.com
The Farr Side: Paul McCartney continues to shine
By David T. Farr More Content Now
Austin American-Statesman
Posted oct 18 2018



It has been a few years since I was excited about new music from Paul McCartney. His new album, “Egypt Station,” is awesome.

It debuted at No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 200. The new single, “Come On To Me,” is one of his best tracks in years.

McCartney is one of the all-time greats. I’m happy to see him having such success at age 76, especially knowing all the talented artists we’ve lost over the past few years.

Image result for Paul McCartney old

This new record is going to appease McCartney fans, but also those diehard Beatles fan who didn’t truly embrace his efforts outside of the band.

He’s a legend and not just because of his Beatles fame. I’ve said this before and will say it again — I liked the Beatles and all of their incredible music, but I became an even bigger fan of their solo work.

For me, the artistry only grew Paul, John, George and even Ringo. For Paul, it grew when he sprouted Wings.

Image result for Paul McCartney wings

I appreciated the collaborative work with his late wife, Linda, and some songs that emerged like “With A Little Luck” and “Band On The Run.” His solo projects, even after Wings, made me like him more, especially the albums “Tug Of War” and “Pipes Of Peace.” The singles “Coming Up,” “Maybe I’m Amazed,” “Take It Away,” “So Bad,” “My Brave Face,” “Press” and my most favorite McCartney track, “No More Lonely Nights,” from the film “Give My Regards To Broad Street,” are some of his best.

His duets of “Ebony and Ivory” with Stevie Wonder and “The Girl Is Mine” and “Say, Say, Say” with Michael Jackson showcased his versatility.

Image result for Paul McCartney jackson

“Egypt Station” is his 17th post-Beatles album. If you listen closely, you can hear echoes of “Sgt. Pepper” on the beginning of “People Want Peace.” The interlude finds Paul saying, “Ladies and gentlemen, I’m standing before you with something important to say ...”

Over the past year, you’ve probably seen McCartney a little more than usual. He revisited Abbey Road and too part in “Carpool Karaoke” with James Cordan.

His music has long evoked a message of love, peace and honesty, but the new material takes it a notch further, especially “Fuh You,” co-written by OneRepublic’s Ryan Tedder.

“Happy With You” is a sweet number about the one you’re with. “Back In Brazil” flavors his love for other cultures.

Image result for Paul McCartney egypt station

I like the pop sound of “Do It Now” and “Dominoes” and the pep-talk message on bullying from “Who Cares.” Paul sings, “Who cares what the idiots say/Who cares what the idiots do/Who cares about the pain in your heart/Who cares? I do..” I think he’s spot-on with that.

If you haven’t checked out “Come On To Me,” do so. You’re gonna love it.


— David T. Farr can be reached at farrboy@hotmail.com.


Image result for Paul McCartney shines on



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario